Come to class 2 prepared to give a 3-to-5 minute political introduction to your home congressional district and your current member of Congress. The presentation should include information about the following items:
The salient political characteristics of the district
- Geographic location
- Location of large cities and economic regions
- Ethnic or other demographic blocs that are politically relevant
- Districting history (especially, what is the difference between the current and the new congressional district?)
- What political, economic, or social trends might change the incumbent's chances in the future?
The salient political background of the incumbent
- When was she / he first elected and what was her or his political background?
- How electorally secure is the incumbent?
- Where does the incumbent's primary political support come from?
- Who did the incumbent run against in 2014, how competitive was the election, and what issues (if any) formed the core of the campaign?
The institutional activity of the incumbent
- What committee(s) and / or leadership positions does the incumbent hold?
- What issues does the incumbent focus on in Congress?
- How visible nationally is the incumbent in national policy issues?
- The political future of the district